13 April 2013

Fish Festival

Last night, I finally made it to the fish festival!
I love fish and we all know Portugal is 
famous for it's fish!  The fish festival was two weeks
long but I finally found time to go.  I went Friday night,
and made it in time for one of the cooking classes.  
I thought it would be more hands on, but it was more of
a demonstration.  Here is the chef below making a yummy
fish dish with bacalhau of course.  Unfortunately, I got distracted and 
made it to the class so I didn't get to see quite how he made it all.
What I did see was that the fish was cooked over a pot with rice and 
I arrived a the point in which he added philadelphia cream cheese.
He said the cream cheese wouldn't be tasted, but it's just used 
for the creamy texture.  Perhaps there is a healthier substitute?
What you see on the right in the pan is bacon.  This bacon was being 
promoted because it is a new way of packaging.  Soon, in stores you can buy 
shredded bacon like this.  It is good to throw on top of the fish & really was
quite yummy.  The company being promoted by this chef here is Primor, which 
specialized in pork.  According to their pamphlet I received, it looks as if they
ship to everywhere in the world, but the united states.  bummer. Regardless,
the fish was good and we got to try a sample afterwards.  It seemed like
a simple dish that is good to throw together for a family.
 The entrance to the fish festival was 15 euros and included a free "dinner" and endless drinks.
The free dinner was actually a 5 euro ticket that got you a portion of dinner.  Here is my fish that
I got for my 5 euro ticket for... Yes, it definitely wasn't a meal but this was their way of getting people
to buy more tickets so they could upgrade their dinner.  However, the crowd at the event was full
of fancy people who I'm sure could afford it.  It wasn't your classic college event.



 Here's the beginning of the booths in the exhibition.







 The festival was located at the Praça do Comércio, 
which seems to be the popular place for events lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment