27 February 2013

Gulbenkian Museum

Calouste Gulbenkian was an art collector who came from Armenia to Portugal during World War II.  This museum holds 6000 of his collections.  Gulbenkian was especially interested in oriental art.  I also like oriental art and these were some of my favorite pieces from the Chinese and Japanese gallery.  

 Portugal is also known for their famous tiles, which are called azulejo.  They are ceramic tiles that are found everywhere here.  They are on the walls at the monastery where I live, the church that I go to, the subway stations, anywhere and everywhere.  The Portuguese word "azulejo" comes from an arabic word, meaning polished stone.  I have found the most typical azulejo are blue and white but I found these to be quite pretty.  They come in various patterns and designs, some much more intricate and detailed paintings, while others are more simple. 


No comments:

Post a Comment