08 March 2013

Benfica

Yesterday I went to my first Portuguese football game! 
We played against Bordeaux, a french team.  
 A few weeks ago, I had to pick a soccer team & had chosen Benfica.  
It worked out perfect, because my friend invited me to go to a Benfica game last week.
He happened to be a season pass holder to Benfica, so I knew I chose the right team.
I chose this team because my friend did a physical therapy internship with the players.
However, I chose right because their color is red (my favorite color)
 and their mascot is an eagle (so I'm staying true to my country at the same time).
 Below, if you can see, the dot is a picture of an eagle flying through the stadium! 
Before the game, they always release the eagle to fly around!
 I was impressed how well trained the eagle was to fly exactly where they wanted it to. 
Here are the scarves that everybody holds up during the games.  The only thing I saw for sale near the games and around the stadium, wasn't food, jerseys, or hats, but the red scarves! Many of the scarves have the name of the game on it or the date.  Not only were the scarves perfect for the weather, but they have a dual purpose as they are used to cheer as well. 

Here is the stadium.  It holds around 70,000 people.  Last night, there were about 33,000 fans at the stadium. This was a low turnout, probably a result of the economic crisis that is happening in Portugal right now.

 Below on the flag, is a picture of the first Benfica team ever. 
Here is a video my friend sent me to prepare for the game.
He noted to pay attention to the words, for they are very emotional.
So if you understand Portuguese, listen up!


Their national hymn was hilarious & the music they sing during the games is so different than what we do at games in the usa, like the style of music & melodies they chant to so it was quite fun. Its was also different to go to a sporting event in another language, cuz I can't say words like "Go! or Shoot!' etc. I realized I didn't how to cheer in another language.  I'm not sure if the types of words we use at games translate! I was also not used to hearing the commentator speak in another language. 

 SLB stands for Sport Lisbon Benfica. 
My friend had great seats, so I was in the 10th row!
 It was an awesome view & since it was in the season pass holder section, 
all the fans go crazy! They have so much energy. They have so many different team songs & chants & they sing the ENTIRE game. I was surprised because usually in American games that I have been to, we sing a song until they start playing or between plays, but here they don’t stop singing, like ever. So it was fun to learn all the Portuguese songs. They also have so many versions of each song with awesome hand motions of course too!

Although we won the game 1-0, Benfica wasn't playing their best.  
However, I didn’t really care because I was enjoying  the cultural experience

Another interesting fact, is that the men to women ratio in the stadium was probably like 100:1. when we were waiting in line to get into the stadium, they had a separate line for girls, of which there was only one person in line. I feel like in the USA, more women attend sporting events. There were very few women at the game, so you can imagine it was pretty rowdy!


Here is another video and if you can understand the words, 
you can see how dedicated and passionate the fans are. 
Somebody got a little too rowdy last night and thew a firecracker!  
It landed really close to us and the fans were mad about it, 
because Benfica has already a reputation for this.  Not only
will they get fined for this, but this puts future games at risk to be played
behind closed doors, or in other words, no fans can enter. 
Here is a Benfica motivational video before the derby, 
which is the most important match in Lisbon soccer,
 because it involves the three local Lisbon teams which are 
Sporting Club of Portugal, Sport Lisbon, and Benfica. 


The most exciting part of the game, was naturally, when Benfica scored a goal.  The fans go wild and everyone hugs each other, but in a more aggressive like mosh pit sort of way. Everyone kinda hugs together yet falling down and pushing around at the same time.  Here is an example of a true Benfica fan below.  It is a child crying after the first goal was scored in the derby match.  I wish the team would have scored more, because the reactions and expressions of the fans were priceless!





No comments:

Post a Comment